Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Am I ready for this??

Fact: I have problems finishing things I start.
Fact: I throw myself into crazy, fun projects that require more of my time and attention than I have to give. Then the first fact kicks in. 
Fact: I am afraid I have done it again.

I cannot recall how it happend or what I was doing to spark the interest. All I know is that one day I was at work ( I assume this is the case as I have limited internet access at home... but shhh, don't tell) and I got the idea that I should Cloth Diaper. I would have looked at you like you had two heads and had asked me to drink the Kool-Aid if you had suggested Cloth Diapering to me just a minute before I had my change of heart.

Well, anyway I don't know how it happend or what it was that triggered my obsession. It's all just a blur. I started researching. I wanted to know EVERYTHING. How they work, how you wash them, what styles there were, what were the benefits, what were the draw backs. All of it. I had to know. Once I found out how much I could save, and how rare it is for CD babies to get rashes, and how ADORABLE the patterns were, I was hooked.

I found tons of forums, blogs, and online retail shops. I got to read from real moms their own experiences and that really helped me make the choice to switch.

Reasons why I want to Cloth Diaper.....

My oldest could get a diaper rash as easy as it is to tie your shoe and at two weeks old I have already had to break out the diaper rash cream for HB. All the horrible things that disposable diapers are made of are the main reason for this.

Did you know that diapers that end up in the landfills will out live us all? They are made of so many chemicals and platics that just won't break down. It's disgusting. As a parent, how can I sit here and dream for a better future for my kids, save for their college tuitions, and hope they are more successful, happy, and healthier than I am and then literally throw their crap in a pile and hope for the best? That's just not right.

For anyone that has had to regularly change a disposable diaper, you have seen or heard of those "crystals" that are inside disposable diapers. It's been a while since I've had to change a diaper, but already I have had to wipe that crap off of HB. And his diaper hadn't even exploded!!! How can a fully intact diaper let that junk out? And from a reputable disposable diaper brand! Do you know what that stuff is?? It's what they beleive caused Toxic Shock Syndrome from the use of tampons. They removed it from tampons in 1985, but it is still allowed in diapers and feminide pads.

So after all my research I discovered that CD will be cheaper, safer, softer, more responsible, and just as convienant as disposables. How could I say no.

I decided that All In Ones and Pockets would be most likely be best for us. I need quick and easy and low maintenance. Since I am a WOHM, I won't be the only one changing diapers (thank goodness!). So far I have only purchased pocket style diapers. At some point I will buy some AIO's and potentially some other types as well. I love to shop for shoes and purses, they are my weakness. I mean clothes are great, but if you saw the amount of extra fat that my stomach, thighs, and ass have accumulated after 2 kids, you would understand why I would much rather purchase things that will never be too small. With that said, I may have found my new buying obsessions. They are just sooo cute! And worth every penny.

The other day I finally decided I had to wash them for the first time. Much like new underwear or sheets. You want to wash them before you use them. I have ben avoiding doing this since they arrived in the mail over a month ago. I was so nervous. See, different brands and fabrics all have different washing instructions. As do the wet bags (bags that you put dirty diapers in between washes and during outings).

Once they were washed and dried, I had no excuse to put it off any longer. I had to start using them. Since I didn't get newborn size diapers I had to wait until HB was big enough to use the ones I did purchase. At his 2 week check up he indeed was over 8 pounds, so I had no reason not to start. I really was secretly hoping he was still too small that first day. He wasn't.

They are a bit big and his newborn clothes are now almost too small. It took me a good 10 minutes to adjust his car seat before leaving the house today. In the next couple months they will look less like a bad butt implant and more like a normal diaper.

I am happy to report that we are 43 hours into Cloth Diapering and doing just fine. I really feel like WonderWOHM today. I even decided to leave the house today and I didn't bring any disposable diapers! Which is a bit funny to me since I thought we would just Cloth Diaper during the day and use disposables at night. Now I don't even think we'll see another disposable in my house.... Unless I get lazy with the laundry.... which is a possibility since I HATE to do laundry....
(Which takes me back to the first three lines of this post....)

If you are a parent of a child in diapers or one day will be a parent, I really urge you to consider cloth. No matter what stage of diapers your child is in. They make potty training cloth diapers, diapers can be used for multiple children, and have an amazing resale value. Yes, you can sell your used cloth diapers. Reduce. Reuse. Rediaper.

I would like to say that I am part of a generation of parents that want to give back to our kids and make up for mankinds mistakes by preparing a cleaner and less wasteful planet.

I HIGHLY recommend reading Changing Diapers: The Hip Mom's Guide to Modern Cloth Diapering by Kelly Wels. It reassured me that I was making the right choice and answered so many questions that I searched all over the internet for. I'm not sure if it is available in e-reader format. I have a copy I will loan out if anyone is seriously considering the switch. I will attach some links to websites that helped me the most!
kellyscloset.com
diapershops.com
kellywels.com
allaboutclothdiapers.com

These are just a couple and my favorite.... I'll add more as I find them and remember them!
And as a CD mommy told me "It's just laundry and they're just diapers."

No comments:

Post a Comment